Saturday, August 15, 2009

Two Political and Economical Thoughts

Today while I was shopping and running errands, two thoughts came to me that I thought I'd share.

First: The hotly debated healthcare package. Mom and I were standing in line at the tax commissioner's office for 45 minutes, waiting in a loooong line. We were talking, and we both thought, "national healthcare?" One thing that we've noticed is that in places like the post office, the DMV, and here is that there are extremely long lines that take forever to get through. It reminded us that if this healthcare package gets passed, this is what we'll get: more long lines and hours of waiting. Is that really what we want? Especially if there is an emergency and you need immediate attention? I mean, I've already read stories of people dying while waiting for the doctors to see them, but I don't think this bill will help in that regard.

Second, the recession is over? According to the "experts" this week, the recession is over. I beg to disagree. Earlier this week, some dear friends of my family learned that their husband/father was laid off because his company is going down. Also, while I was shopping today, I saw more evidence that it isn't quite over. At both Wal-mart and H-Mart, I noticed much lower prices, especially at Asian food store H-Mart, where there was a huge sale on food. I've tended to notice that if there is a huge sale of unbelievably low prices at any store, that means business isn't doing good. If the recession is over, then there shouldn't be all these stores cutting down prices; cutting prices mean business isn't good.

Those are just two rambling thoughts today.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the "long lines" idea. Government health care will not solve anything; it will create problems.
    I see fast food stores closing. A Taco Bell here and a Burger King there. I have heard reports from Arkansas and Florida that say that the same thing is happening there. My brother's son runs a 200 employee warehouse; their business is down 20%. I have a trucker friend. He is earning $400 a week instead of $800 - $1600 a week.
    One more thing: Mr. "acting stupidly" Obama wants informants to send "fishy" information to a White House web site. It's probably illegal and he as a "legal expert" either knew or should have known better.
    Click on Wolf Wolfman above for my latest article.

    ReplyDelete